Extension of Residence Permit
If you have a residence permit and plan to continue studying after your permit expires, you must apply to extend it with the Swedish Migration Agency.
To extend your residence permit, you must
• hold a valid passport
• be accepted on a course of full-time study at a university or university college
• have made acceptable progress in your studies (it is a requirement that you have taken 15 credits during the first year,
22.5 credits during the second year, and 30 credits during the third and subsequent years.)
• be able to support yourself during the period you are requesting a residence permit
• have a comprehensive insurance policy.
- Read more at the Migration Agency: https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Studying-in-Sweden/Universities-and-university-college/Extend-a-permit.html
If you have had a residence permit for regular study hours and are applying to extend your permit to complete your studies, you should also enclose a certificate from your instructor or other person at the university or university college who is familiar with your studies.
⇒ Book an appointment with Master’s Coordinators Emma Lindström Bengtsson or Åsa Olsson in TimeCenter
If you have started your examination work, you must also enclose a recently issued certificate from your instructor describing how the work is progressing. ⇒ Ask your thesis supervisor or examiner to provide you with such a certificate
Please observe the following:
It is the Migration Agency who decides if you fulfill the requirements of an extension – not the University.
You cannot expect to receive a certificate from the Master’s Coordinators on short notice. You must book an appointment in beforehand.
The Master’s Coordinators cannot help you with legal advice.
The Master’s Coordinators and thesis supervisors/examiners can only verify facts in the certificates.
The Master’s Coordinators do not write personal recommendations.
If the Migration Agency requires more information from you regarding e. g. why your studies have taken longer than planned du to personal circumstances, you must explain this – not the Master’s Coordinators. The burden of proof lies with you.
Do not book more than one appointment in Timecenter. It is very unfair to occupy appointments in Timecenter which you will not use.
If you have a lag of more than four courses, please book an appointment with your Study Councellor to make a Study Plan.
Last updated: 2019-10-10