Module 7: Reflection
This course attempts to present an approach, rather than give instructions about what is “right” and “wrong”. We hope that as a teaching assistant you find the concepts, ideas and examples given in the course useful when refining your experience and understanding of gender-aware teaching.
The reflection guidelines below contain several topics of discussion that we want you to keep in mind when working as a teaching assistant.
Here we present several topics for discussion that you are to consider and respond to in writing. Send your personal reflections in writing to the course leader approximately one week before the final session. The responses will be discussed at this session.
Meeting students – reflect on your own role and identity in your meeting with students
Gender-aware teaching methods are based on the perception that gender is significant in learning, knowledge and teaching.
Conducting gender-aware teaching may involve becoming conscious of how the students are received.
Reflect on the basis of the web course and your own work as a course assistant, as well as any past experience, around the points below. If you do not have own experience on the topics in question, then please reflect on a scenario that could arise.
- In your role as teaching assistant, have you been able to use any of the advice given in the course material? If yes, give examples. If no, explain why not.
- Have any situations arisen in your work in which you believe that gender has played a role? If yes, provide examples. If no, consider what has contributed to the absence of situations in which issues of gender have been relevant.
- Have you observed any traditional gender-defined patterns in the groups you have worked with? If yes, how were they expressed? If no, describe what you believe has contributed to making the teaching gender-neutral.
- Have master suppression techniques been used in any situations? (Provide examples.)
- Whose questions are treated as interesting, and whose questions are seldom followed up? What do you believe to be the cause of this?
- What advice would you give to prospective teaching assistants? Why?
NB! The written answers should consist of 1-2 single-spaced A4 pages, written in 12-point Times font.
Submit your homework at least one week before the last seminar
Also bring a printout of your homework to the last seminar.
Do you have any questions or comments? Or if you represent another organization or academy, and want to use this material? Please contact course coordinator:
Last updated: 2020-06-29