Research Ethics, 2hp
Utbildningsnivå: Forskarutbildningsnivå, doktorandkurs
Förkunskaper: Kursen ges för doktorander antagna vid Tekniska högskolan, LiU.
- To be able to describe and apply theories and methods in ethics and research ethics
- To acquire an overview of important issues in research ethics, like responsibility for research, ethical vetting, and scientific misconduct.
- To acquire skills of presenting arguments and results of ethical inquiries.
- Introduction to ethics and research ethics. Overview of theories and methods in ethics and research ethics.
- How to handle data. The meaning of secrecy and confidentiality.
- Good research practice, research integrity and scientific misconduct. Criteria and principles for good research practice. Meaning of scientific misconduct and fraud. Cases and procedures for establishing misconduct, preventions and sanctions.
- Responsibility for the results of research. Responsibility for research and the results and consequences of research. The limits of responsibility. Risks and the precautionary principle.
- Ethical vetting of research. Different kinds of vetting of research, procedures and ethical principles guiding research on human beings and animals.
The teaching method is lectures combined with seminars (1 hour lecture + 1 hour seminar). There will be four lectures/seminars and one final seminar during the course. Lectures will introduce the topics for discussion. During the seminars the students will analyze and discuss various problems in research ethics. Course language is English.
Active participation and a short written paper to be discussed in a seminar. In the paper, the course participant analyzes a research ethical problem related to her own research project/field of research.
80% attendance at the seminars is required for passing grade.
Collste, G, Introduction to Ethics
De Peol & Royakkers 2011, Ethics, Technology and Engineering, 8.3 The Engineers Responsibility for Safety (pp 223-238)
Good research practice, Vetenskapsrådets rapportserie, 3:2011
The Menlo Report. Ethical Principles Guiding Information and Communication Technology Research. http://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2012/menlo_report_actual_formatted/menlo_report_actual_formatted.pdf
The Uppsala Code of Ethics for Scientists, Journal of Peace Research 4/1984
The European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity http://www.esf.org/fileadmin/Public_documents/Publications/Code_Conduct_ResearchIntegrity.pdf
Elin Palm, IKK
Gemensamma Kurser vid LiU
Gemensamma Kurser vid LiTH
Neural Networks and Deep Learning, (IDA&ISY)
Practical scientific presentation technique (3 hp)
Intellectual Property as a Business Tool
Senast uppdaterad: 2020-02-25