Application for public defence of PhD thesis
The application must be submitted to the Board of PhD studies no later than three months before the proposed date of the defence and during the academic year. An application made later then stipulated time frame is not to be processed and the main supervisor has to made a new application in accordance with the faculty's stipulated regulations.
The application shall contain:
- Completed application form with a proposal of a faculty opponent and examination committee and a short presentation of the opponent and examination board members (approximately 5-10 sentences for each person). All of them should have been accepted the assignment. See the guidance (available only in Swedish) regarding examination committee. Keep in mind that the supervisors and the respondent should not have joint publications with suggested examination committee or the opponent over the past 5-6 years. If this is the case after all, this should be an explanation in an appendix to the notification. Read more about conflict of intressts here.
- An abstract of the thesis
- A popular scientific summary in Swedish
- A list of publications: clarify your contribution to the publications
- A copy of the latest ISP with Annex the degree outcomes
- A Ladok - registration certificate in Swedish for the period of time when the PhD student is enrolled on PhD studies at LiU
All documents should be sent as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to submit the application for the public defence during the first three weeks in the autumn semester is April 1.
According toi the study handbook, Ch 6.3 §21 "The main supervisor is summoned to a meeting of the Board of PhD studies (or to a delegation meeting with the board chairman) to discuss the case and to make a brief presentation of the content of the thesis and other facts that can be of interest to the board. The choice of faculty opponent and examination board is to be justified and the Board of PhD studies (or the chairman) then resolve on this. The Board of PhD studies circulates extracts of the minutes to all concerned."
Guidelines for the composition of the examination committee (in Swedish)
ACADEMIC YEAR 2020-2021
August 16, 2020 -- June 18, 2021
Academic year 2021-2022
August 16, 2021 -- June 17, 2022
Last updated: 2021-04-16