Application for public defence of PhD thesis
The application must be submitted to the Board of PhD studies no later than three months before the proposed date of the defence and during the term time/accademic year. An application made later then stipulated time frame is not to be processed and the main supervisor has to made a new application in accordance with the faculty's stipulated regulations.
The application shall contain:
- Completed and signed application form with a proposal of a faculty opponent and examination committee (all of them should have been accepted the assignment). See the guidance (available only in Swedish) regarding examination committee.
- An abstract of the thesis
- A list of publications: clarify your contribution to the publications
- A popular scientific summary in Swedish
- A copy of the latest ISP with Annex the degree outcomes
- Short presentation of the opponent and examination board members (approximately 5-10 sentences for each person)
- A Ladok - registration certificate in Swedish for the period of time when the PhD student is enrolled on PhD studies at LiU
All documents should be sent as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com. Send the signed application form by internal mail to the Faculty (House D, TFK, Forskarutbildningsnämnden).
The deadline to submit the application for the public defence during the first three weeks in the autumn semester is May 1.
"§21 The main supervisor is summoned to a meeting of the Board of PhD studies (or to a delegation meeting with the board chairman) to discuss the case and to make a brief presentation of the content of the thesis and other facts that can be of interest to the board. The choice of faculty opponent and examination board is to be justified and the Board of PhD studies (or the chairman) then resolve on this. The Board of PhD studies circulates extracts of the minutes to all concerned." (Study handbook, Ch 6.3)
Guidelines for the composition of the examination committee (in Swedish)
Academic year 2018-2019
August 16, 2018 -- June 14, 2019
Academic year 2019-2020
August 16, 2019 -- June 12, 2020
Last updated: 2019-04-24